Dated: 25th September, 2017
Subject: Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA) to the Armed Forces Pensioners / Family Pensioners in such cases where date of retirement is prior to 01.04.2003 and who had opted not to avail medical facilities at OPD of Armed Forces Hospitals/ MI Rooms and are not members of ECHS.
Reference: 1). This office Circular No. 544 dated 04.06.2015, Circular No. 451 dated 21.02.2011 and Circular No. 208 dated 27.07.1998.
2). GOI, MoD letter No. 1(10)/2009-D(Pen/Policy) dated 29th August’ 2017.
Copy of GOI, MoD letter No. 1(10)/2009-D(Pen/Policy) dated 29th August, 2017 on the above subject, which is self-explanatory, is forwarded herewith as annexure to this circular for further necessary action at your end.
2. In terms of Para-1 of GOI, MOD letter dated 29th August’ 2017, the fixed medical allowance has been enhanced from ₹ 500 / – pm to ₹ 1000 /- pm
with effect from 01.07.2017. Ex-Servicemen who retired after 01.04.2003 have to become member of ECHS compulsorily and are not eligible to draw Fixed Medical
Allowance. However, Pre-01.04.2003 retirees have the option of either joining the Scheme or draw Fixed Medical Allowance as per the extant rates.
3. The other conditions for grant of Fixed Medical Allowance as brought out in this Office Circular No. 208 dated 27.07.1998 quoted under reference shall continue to be in force. PDAs are requested to please review the cases and revise the Fixed Medical Allowance in all the affected cases accordingly.
4. This circular has been uploaded on this office website www.pcdapension.nic.in for dissemination
to all alongwith Defence pensioners and Pension Disbursing Agencies.
No. Grants /Tech /0164/III
Dated: 25th September, 2017
Asstt. Controller (P)
Department of Ex-servicemen Welfare
Dated: 29th August 2017
The Chief of the Army Staff
The Chief of the Naval Staff
The Chief of the Air Staff
SUB: GRANT OF FIXED MEDICAL ALLOWANCE (FMA) TO THE ARMED FORCES PENSIONERS/FAMILY PENSIONERS IN SUCH CASES WHERE DATE OF RETIREMENT IS PRIOR TO 1.4.2003 AND WHO HAD OPTED NOT TO AVAIL MEDICAL FACILITIES AT OPD OF ARMED FORCES HOSPITALS/MI ROOMS AND ARE NOT MEMBERS OF ECHS.
The undersigned is directed to refer to the Govt. of India, Ministry of Defence letter No. 1(1)/98/D(Pen/Sers) dated 15th June 1998 and letter No.1(10)/09-D(Pen/Policy) dated 12th January 2011 & No. 1(10)/2009-D(Pen/Policy) dated 5th May 2015 regarding grant of Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA) of Rs.500/- pm. with effect from 19.11.2014 to Armed Forces Pensioners/Family’ Pensioners for meeting expenditure on day to day medical expenses that do not require hospitalization unless the individual had opted for OPD treatment in Armed Forces Hospitals/ M.I. Rooms and convey the sanction of the President for enhancement of the amount of FMA from Rs. 500/- to Rs. 1000/-per month. The other conditions for grant of FMA shall continue to be in force.
who retired on or after 01 Apr 2003 have to-become member of ECHS Compulsorily and are not eligible to draw Fixed Medical Allowance. These orders applicable only in such cases, where the date of retirement is prior to 1.4.2003 and who had opted not to avail medical facilities at OPD of Armed Forces Hospitals/ Ml rooms and are not members of ECHS.
3. These orders will take effect from 01.07.2017.
4. All other conditions as laid down in Government of India letter No. 1(1)/98-D(Pen/Sers) dated 15th June 1998 will continue to apply.
5. This issue with the concurrence of Ministry of Defence(Finance/Pension) vide their ID No. 32(9)/2010/Fin/Pen dated 16 August 2017.
6. Hindi version will follow.
Under Secretary to the Government of India